How to Get Your Garage Door Ready for Hurricane Season
Hurricane season is quickly approaching in Florida. Your garage door is one of the largest entrances to your home, so it needs to be secure to help keep your home safe during a hurricane. You may need garage door repair or installation to make this happen. It just depends on the current state of your garage door. Take a look at the tips below and find out how to get your garage door ready.
Garage Door Repair and Prep Tips for Hurricane Season
When to Replace Your Garage Door
- If your garage door is in the 15 to 30 year age range you should seriously consider replacing it. That’s because that’s the typical life span of most garage doors. If your not sure, you can always have one of our garage door repairman come by and inspect your garage door. They’ll be able to tell you if it needs to be replaced or not. It doesn’t hurt to get your garage door inspected and it can give you the peace of mind you need this hurricane season.
- If your garage door has a lot of structural damage it’s most likely not safe to operate and won’t do a sufficient job protecting your home from hurricane force winds. If your garage door doesn’t look safe, it’s probably not safe. In most cases replacing it will be your best option. However, you can have one our local garage door repairman come by to inspect it and they’ll let you know the damage is serious enough to warrant total replacement or if extensive garage door repair will do the trick.
- If you want a stronger garage door in general you may want to opt for a new hurricane resistant garage door. These garage doors can take on stronger winds and are a smart option if you live in a coastal area that’s prone to hurricanes.
How to Tell if You Need to Repair Your Garage Door
If your garage door is in good condition, you should still make sure you get the necessary repairs and routine maintenance as they come up. This will keep your garage door in good condition and gives you the opportunity to have your garage door inspected before hurricane season. Here are a few clear signs that you need to get your garage door repaired:
- Your garage door is really noisy.
- Your garage door opens and shuts very slowly.
- Your garage door lets in a draft.
- Your garage door won’t open.
- Your garage door won’t shut.